Replacement Water

Many residents within the counties served by Weber Basin Water Conservancy District do not have access to a municipal or community water system and must depend on alternative sources, such as a well, for their domestic water. To further compound the issue, no new appropriations of water are given by the State Engineer’s Office within District boundaries. Replacement water offers a solution to those residents seeking to develop a well. Through the replacement water program, District storage rights are released into the river to “replace” the groundwater utilized by a well. Residents seeking replacement water must first sign a contract with the District followed by obtaining an approved exchange application from the State Engineer before they are permitted to drill a well. The process is outlined below.

Before submitting your completed replacement water contract, we advise you to contact the Division of Water Rights (801-538-7240) to verify that no moratorium on water diversions has been placed on your area.For example, there is presently a moratorium on parts of the Snyderville Basin/Park City area of Summit County that prohibits new sales and new well permits. If you are interested in contracting for replacement water to use on your property in Summit County, Morgan County or the upper valley of Weber County, click on the link below.